- Camping was initiated by student YMCA by organising a students’ camp at Lonavla in 1911 with fifty Christian Students from colleges and higher classes in schools.
- These camps proved to be of great significance in the lives of these boys as it provided them experience in community living that would prove to be useful in later life.
- A similar camp was held the following year at the same place. Then it became an annual feature.
- In the 1960s, camping activities was renewed again with greater vigour and came to be broad based to include not only Christians but all young people.
- Boys Camps were initiated by Stanley Karkada.
- The first Camp was held at Junnar in October 1975.
- Thirty eight boys from Bombay School attended this leadership development camp which became a role model for many such camps which have become a regular feature.