The site of the Apollo Bunder premises was originally given to the YMCA on a free lease by the Government in 1881. Things changed with the passing of the Bombay Improvement Trust Act in 1898.
The Board arranged to take on 99 years’ lease from 1904 a plot of land measuring 2250 sq. yards on the Wellington Lines Estate on Wodehouse Road. The opening ceremony of the building took place on September 25, 1906, at the hands of Governor Lamington, Governor of Bombay.
The Wodehouse branch was renamed as Central branch in 1908 as most of the activities were Centred thereand it was also the headquarters of Bombay YMCA from where the General Secretaries functioned.
With the opening of the new building the headquarters of the Bombay YMCA was shifted from Apollo Bunder to the Central branch and remained there for the next 66 years, till it got shifted to YMCA International House.