- The Bombay Education Society started a Home for apprentices for their benefit in a rented building at Clare Road, Byculla. At the request of the Society, the YMCA took over its management in October 1907. That was the beginning of the Procter Branch. The rented building which was ‘very attractive’ housed 26 boys. In 1910, the ‘Apprentices Home’ was transferred to a bungalow in Love Lane, Mazagaon, and then to Mount Road. Efforts were made in 1909 to secure YMCA’s own building for the Apprentices’ Home.
- A plot of land 2,619 sq. yards in area was acquired on Rebsch Street at Agripada on a 99 year lease on 1909 from the City Improvement Trust and construction of the building commenced. The building was opened on March 11, 1915, by Lord Willington, Governor of Bombay. In recognition of the services rendered by Sir Henry to the YMCA, the Branch was named ‘Procter Branch’ in 1915.